Molecular Pharmacology and Toxicology, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Signal transduction
- Free Radicals
- Neurodenerative and age-related disorders
- Alzheimer's disease
- Brain, neurons, astrocytes
Research OverviewEnrique Cadenas' research programs address the molecular mechanisms inherent in brain aging and Alzheimer's disease under an umbrella that characterizes and evaluates quantitatively the decline in energy metabolism associated with brain aging and age-related neurodegenerative diseases by addressing the coordinated regulation of signaling and transcriptional pathways and mitochondrial function. This coordinated triad is critical in the regulation of brain glucose uptake and metabolism. This platform has been used to assess the therapeutic potential of several nutritional approaches that restore mitochondrial function and the associated signaling and transcriptional pathways as well as cognition (evaluated as long-term potentiation).
Enrique Cadenas' lab has ample expertise on mitochondrial bioenergetics, dynamics, and biogenesis, redox signaling, and redox modulation of transcriptional pathways as well as free radical biology and nitric oxide biology inherent in aging and age-related neurodegenerative disorders. In addition, his laboratory is engaged in the analyses of protein post-translational modifications associated with modulation of cell signaling as well as the ability to assemble and integrate comprehensively mitochondrial physiology and cell signaling- and transcriptional pathways.
Enrique Cadenas also collaborates extensively with international investigators focusing on modulation of nitric oxide concentration dynamics following hippocampal neuronal glutamatergic activation and hippocampal mitochondrial dysfunction in aging. This is part of a research program with the University of Coimbra, Portugal, that addresses the significance and regulation of the neurovascular-metabolic coupling axis in brain aging and Alzheimer's disease.
University of Southern California
1985 Zonal Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90089-9121
- MD 1974 Medicine - University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
- PhD 1977 Biochemistry - University of Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 1978-1980 University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Johnson Research Foundation
Selected PublicationsView a complete PubMed searchView a complete Google Scholar search
- Lethal dysregulation of energy metabolism during embryonic vitamin E deficiency.McDougall M, Choi J, Kim HK, Bobe G, Stevens JF, Cadenas E, Tanguay R, Traber MG.
Free Radic Biol Med. 2017 Mar;104:324-332. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2017.01.020. Epub 2017 Jan 14.PubMed
Yin F, Sancheti H, Patil I, Cadenas E.
Free Radic Biol Med. 2016 Nov;100:108-122. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2016.04.200. Epub 2016 May 3. Review.PubMed
Yin F, Sancheti H, Liu Z, Cadenas E.
J Physiol. 2016 Apr 15;594(8):2025-42. doi: 10.1113/JP270541. Epub 2015 Sep 16. Review.PubMed
- Astrocytic metabolic and inflammatory changes as a function of age. Jiang T, Cadenas E.Aging Cell. 2014 Dec;13(6):1059-67. doi: 10.1111/acel.12268. Epub 2014 Sep 19.PMID: 25233945 [PubMed - in process] PubMed Link
Liu Z, Patil IY, Jiang T, Sancheti H, Walsh JP, Stiles BL, Yin F, Cadenas E.
PLoS One. 2015 May 29;10(5):e0128274. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0128274. eCollection 2015.PubMed
- Hypermetabolic state in the 7-month-old triple transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease and the effect of lipoic acid: a 13C-NMR study. Sancheti H, Patil I, Kanamori K, Díaz Brinton R, Zhang W, Lin AL, Cadenas E.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2014 Nov;34(11):1749-60. doi: 10.1038/jcbfm.2014.137. Epub 2014 Aug 6.PMID: 25099753 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] PubMed Link
- Neurovascular coupling in hippocampus is mediated via diffusion by neuronal-derived nitric oxide. Lourenço CF, Santos RM, Barbosa RM, Cadenas E, Radi R, Laranjinha J.Free Radic Biol Med. 2014 Aug;73:421-9. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2014.05.021. Epub 2014 Jun 2.PMID: 24887095 [PubMed - in process] PubMed Link
- Downregulation of the Werner syndrome protein induces a metabolic shift that compromises redox homeostasis and limits proliferation of cancer cells. Li B, Iglesias-Pedraz JM, Chen LY, Yin F, Cadenas E, Reddy S, Comai L.Aging Cell. 2014 Apr;13(2):367-78.PMID: 24757718 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] PubMed Link
- Short-term cigarette smoke exposure leads to metabolic alterations in lung alveolar cells. Agarwal AR, Yin F, Cadenas E.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2014 Aug;51(2):284-93. doi: 10.1165/rcmb.2013-0523OC.PMID: 24625219 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] PubMed Link
- Reversal of metabolic deficits by lipoic acid in a triple transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's disease: a 13C NMR study.Sancheti H, Kanamori K, Patil I, Díaz Brinton R, Ross BD, Cadenas E.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2014 Feb;34(2):288-96. doi: 10.1038/jcbfm.2013.196. Epub 2013 Nov 13.PMID: 24220168 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE PubMed Link
- Metabolic shift in lung alveolar cell mitochondria following acrolein exposure.Agarwal AR, Yin F, Cadenas E.Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2013 Nov 15;305(10):L764-73. doi: 10.1152/ajplung.00165.2013. Epub 2013 Sep 20.PMID: 24056970 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] PubMed Link
- Age-dependent modulation of synaptic plasticity and insulin mimetic effect of lipoic acid on a mouse model of Alzheimer's disease. Sancheti H, Akopian G, Yin F, Brinton RD, Walsh JP, Cadenas E.PLoS One. 2013 Jul 17;8(7):e69830. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0069830. Print 2013.PMID: 23875003 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] PubMed Link
- Methods in Enzymology. Hydrogen peroxide and cell signaling, part C. Preface.Cadenas E, Packer L.Methods Enzymol. 2013;528:xv. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-405881-1.10000-X. No abstract available.PMID: 23849873 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE PubMed Link
Mitochondrial remodeling in the liver following chronic alcohol feeding to rats. Han D, Johnson HS, Rao MP, Martin G, Sancheti H, Silkwood KH, Decker CW, Nguyen KT, Casian JG, Cadenas E, Kaplowitz N.
Free Radic Biol Med. 2017 Jan;102:100-110. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2016.11.020. Epub 2016 Nov 17.PubMed