Associate Professor, Neurology
Institute for Neuro Imaging
Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute
Keck School of Medicine of USC
- Brain atlasing
- Neuroanatomy and Connectomics
- High throughput image analysis and visualization tools
Research OverviewThe Dong Lab undertakes several projects related to characterizing the neural architecture of mouse models of health and disease and creating open-access data resources and informatics pipelines for mouse brain atlasing. Our Mouse Connectome Project (MCP) (www.MouseConnectome.org) aims to create a three-dimensional, Google Earth-like, digital Connectome atlas of the C57BL/6J mouse brain. We have well-established state of the art tract-tracing technologies to systematically reveal and map neuronal networks of the whole mouse brain, and have developed a high-throughput pipeline for data production, collection, and analysis. These large-scale, high-resolution, high-quality raw imaging data are made freely accessible to the neuroscience community and general public. To facilitate their use, we have also developed a powerful visualization tool that enables users to visualize and annotate these data.
Recently, we constructed a mouse cortico-striatal projectome: a comprehensive projection map from the entire cortex to the dorsal striatum in the mouse. We use this connectomics approach to characterize circuit-specific cortico-striatal connectopathies in mouse models of disconnection syndromes such as autism spectrum disorder and Huntington disease.
Office Location ZNI 307
Office Phone (323) 442-1100
Office Location ZNI 307
- 1999 - Ph.D., the Fourth Military Medical University (Xian, China) (Research project for PhD thesis was conducted at University of Southern California)
- 1996 - M.S., the Fourth Military Medical University (Xian, China), (Neuroscience)
- 1993 - M.D., the Fourth Military Medical University (Xian, China), (Medicine)
- Hintiryan, H., Foster, N. N., Bowman, I., Bay, M., Song, M. Y., Gou, L., ... & Yang, X. W. (2016). The mouse cortico-striatal projectome. Nature Neuroscience.
- Condro, M. C., Matynia, A., Foster, N. N., Ago, Y., Rajbhandari, A. K., Van, C., ... & May, V. (2016). Highâresolution characterization of a PACAPâEGFP transgenic mouse model for mapping PACAPâexpressing neurons. Journal of Comparative Neurology, 524(18), 3827-3848.
- Zingg, B., Hintiryan, H., Gou, L., Song, M. Y., Bay, M., Bienkowski, M. S., ... & Dong, H. W. (2014). Neural networks of the mouse neocortex. Cell, 156(5), 1096-1111.